Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Fireplace "Fun" Part Two

Yesterday I left you with these lovely images:

Please do not scratch your eyes out.

Juxtaposed in my living room. Fabulous.

As we go through the process of fixing up our house we are discovering that the answer to general household ugliness is..... drum roll please.... PAINT! Yes, paint and as we are  also discovering, there is a paint for everything. There is a paint for brick, which would be regular old latex semi-gloss, and Rustoleum actually makes a paint for wood stoves! No way, right?

We started painting the brick last year. For the record, painting brick is a pain in the patootie. I haven't quite finished the hearth yet, a fact which is hidden in the "after" pic below by some artful cropping. When we decided to stick the basement behemoth in the fireplace we had to yank the horrible silver doors off and and clean it really well. Fuzz-butt thought that we did this entirely for her benefit.

Her Majesty is would like to thank her subjects for their hard work.
We lost a few brain cells painting the stove. It is definitely toxic and the label says it has some "harmless fumes" when you fire it up for the first time. For the record, they don't smell all that harmless, but fortunately, it doesn't last all that long. At first we attempted to get the rust off of the stove but then we had the following thought wander through our heads: "Maybe, just maaaaybe, the word "Rust" in the name "Rustoleum" is significant." So we abandoned the de-rusting efforts and just sprayed the darn thing.  Lo and behold Rustoleum covers rust, go figure.

So here it is, the picture you've been waiting for...

Ta Dah!!!!!
The white stove in the white hearth. We're really happy with how it came out, especially considering how nasty and gross it was to start with. I have to touch up under the stove and finish the hearth so I'll post a panoramic pic when I'm done.

I'm going to leave you with a slap-dash, rather pathetic, mood board for what I would like to put around my hearth once it's done. If I ever have that much in undesignated funds... so probably never. A girl can dream though.


  • That would be a (sold) vintage enamel ash bucket from La Pomme.
  • A large wood basket and a small kindling basket from West Elm
  • And fireplace tools from Crate and Barrel

It's very cottern. Hey I invented the word and I'm going to use it.

I will see you all tomorrow!
H

6 comments:

  1. I think the white on white looks fabulous! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Janel! I like it a heck of a lot better than the "before" ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks great! So fresh and tidy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Joy! There's a reason why the picture is cropped very close ;-p The "tidy" doesn't extend very far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love painted brick and I love paint in general for hiding and fixing a multitude of problems! If only I could *paint* my living room sofa!

    p.s. your dog looks so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww thanks, Maisy's a love sponge.

    There is a "couch paint", it's called red Kool-Aid, it covers well and it never comes out. Your couch will smell like cherries too, so that's a plus.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome! I'd love to hear from you so please comment, it would make my day!

Note: Home Again Jog is a troll-free zone, nasty comments won't be published, period.