Monday, October 24, 2011

Chelsea Morning

In my blogging class, Leslie from A Creative Mint is teaching us how to create color stories as well as teaching us some basic photography. This is my attempt to put some of what I've learned into practice.  

Leslie mentioned using a theme or unifying idea to create the color story, my inspiration was the song "Chelsea Morning" by Joni Mitchell. If you can't read it, it says "There was milk and toast and honey and a bowl of oranges too, and the sun poured in like butterscotch and stuck to all my senses. Won't you stay we'll put on the day and we'll talk in present tenses." 
My sun isn't really butterscotch-y but I can't seem to make it shine brighter. Huh, weird.

For some reason, Joni Mitchell's "Hits" is an autumn album for me, probably because I started listening to it in the autumn that I lived in Peterborough, NH. It has some happy memories for me. I particularly like the imagery in "Chelsea Morning" and I thought it lent itself nicely to a photo.

I stuck the owl in there for the  line "I will bring you incense owls by night, by candlelight, by jewel light if only you will stay." Anyway, if I'm being honest, this is more of a still life than a color story, although I did try to make the colors harmonious.

I would love to be able to get the beautiful, bright colors that Leslie gets but my house lacks the natural light. I actually kind of like the darker light in these shots though. It reminds me of an old-fashioned still life, it's a little moody.


Well, I stink at photography, as I explained here, but this is better than most of my attempts so I'll go with it. I'll take an improvement as a win.

What do you think?
H


5 comments:

  1. Hi Heather,
    This is a great post! How lovely to use lyrics as your starting point for a colour story.
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sophie! I'm loving your pics on your blog! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the lyrics you chose. So beautiful... I am wishing for autumn, but it is spring here...
    I love that Rebecca was so hands on and helpful. The light and bright makes a real difference. Great post. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Heather -I love how you added the white text on the first image. Overall I think you have done a fantastic job! You need not give any disclaimers for your work!!! I am going to spend some time now looking at you blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Leslie! It's very cool to have you looking around and commenting!

    I'm asking for my first Canon DSLR for Christmas! I'm hoping my photo quality improves with my equipment!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome! I'd love to hear from you so please comment, it would make my day!

Note: Home Again Jog is a troll-free zone, nasty comments won't be published, period.