Monday, April 16, 2012

Thrift-Store Landscape Re-vamp

My friend Amy posted this on Facebook and it's so awesome that I had to share.

You know how there are often landscape paintings a'la Bob Ross in thrift stores? (Remember Bob and his "happy little trees?" Here he is in case you forgot.)


Well artist Chris McMahon breathes new life into these thrift store finds... in a way that I find absolutely awesome!



Yes, Chris McMahon adds monsters to thrift store landscape paintings. He is my new hero.



Color me impressed.

I really like this one...


The fuzzy ice monster. Illustrating that they don't have to be scary.

I think this one is my favorite.

According to Twisted Sifter, the trick to doing this yourself is to determine which type of paint was used in the original and match it. Of course you probably should know something about painting and have a vision for a monster too, but I guess that goes without saying.

So, as you can see, I'm back. I'm energized and happy to be here and I'm going to be sharing lots of fun stuff with you.

Oh, also, if you would let me know if you think "Tacky Crafts with Heather" would be a fun monthly feature here on HAJ, I would greatly appreciate it. You can vote yes/no in the poll above, or if you have more thoughts, you can comment or tell me on HAJ on Facebook, I only want to do it if you'd like to see it, so let me know.

Ah, it's good to be back!
See you soon,
H

5 comments:

  1. welcome back! i missed you! the bob ross video is so fun. i remember hem. also my 10-year-old will love those monsters. a riot. they sure add interest to the quiet paintings! hey - i think "crafts with heather" is a great idea. don't use the "tacky" - we might love them and think they are not tacky. joy to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI NOREEN!!!!! I'm so happy to hear from you! Tacky crafts will be with tongue firmly planted in cheek. The point will be to revisit some of the ghastly crafts of old and attempt to make them new and fun. I hope you will like them! Joy to you too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to have you back. Love these pics. Re Tacky Crafts - I'm not a crafty person but I would read it for your quirky take/humour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back! I lovelovelove the fuzzy ice monster. He's my favorite! I can totally see that for a kids room or illustrated book. And bring on the tacky crafts girl! You'll totally do it up right!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI JANINE & LAUREN!!!!! I'm so happy to hear from you both! I'm already working on my first tacky craft so I'm glad you like the idea. I'm gonna rock tacky. Boo-ya.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome! I'd love to hear from you so please comment, it would make my day!

Note: Home Again Jog is a troll-free zone, nasty comments won't be published, period.