Friday, July 20, 2012

Hollister Hill Farm

One of our favorite places to go in Vermont is Hollister Hill Farm in Plainfield.


When we lived in Montpelier we used to come out here for honey, bacon, and eggs and to walk around the barn.


It's waaay out on a quiet dirt road.

I don't know if this is a Vermont thing but the store is entirely self-serve.


In this day and age of distrust, it's pretty amazing that a farmer in central Vermont leaves a box full of cash on the counter and trusts his customers to make their own change!


He trusts his customers and in return, his customers are trustworthy. This makes me happy.

You are also welcome to wander through the barn and see the animals, provided you follow some simple rules.


When we're there we always wander through and say "hi" to the animals.


When you buy milk of cheese, he labels them with the cow's name so you know who to thank. This is Sheila. We bought cheese from Sweet Stephanie.


This is what being a free-range chicken is all about. They have the run of the place. You'll be happy to know that I cropped a cow-pie out of the picture. I thought it distracted from the pretty chicken. You're welcome.

There are lots of pigs. The larger they are the louder they grunt. We were there at feeding time so they were making a lot of noise when we walked down to look at them. I'm here to tell you that if I'm ever alone in the woods, and I hear a sound like the adults make, I will be hauling my nearly forty-year-old self straight up a tree. They sound downright menacing!


OK, these don't sound menacing, they are the piglets. Just relaxing on their hay.


Bigger piggies...

Even bigger piggies. I want to install hidden cameras to see if they actually swing on that tire when no one's around.


That's not a pig, that's a hog.

We happened to get there at exactly the right time, because the farmer walked out, handed Lu a ginormus bottle and asked her if she wanted to feed the calf... Um "YES!!!"


Do I hear an "Awwwwww" Awesome experience!

Here's Lu giving mama a pat.


Oh patient cow. I love cows. I want a cow. We don't have enough lawn for a cow. Boo.

But mama cow wasn't the only mama in the barn.




Can I get another "Awwwwww...." Mama cat was actually fine with people holding her babies. I don't know what that says about her parenting skills. Do cat's have parenting skills?

We had a great time, we always do. If you go to Vermont, to Plainfield, find your way down some back roads to Hollister Hill Farm and grab some bacon. I'll leave you with a picture of the farmhouse.


I shall see you on Monday!

Have a great weekend!
H

3 comments:

  1. Are any of you having a hard time commenting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's back! And I am too! This looks like a delightful place to visit. No wonder you guys love it so much! Great post, and Lu was SO lucky!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! This reminds me of Sherman Farms in Maine, except for the help-yourself part. Sherman Farms has dairy cows too, and once we were there for a dairy festival (or some such) and made buttermilk and butter using tiny paper cups. The ice cream was wonderful! Thanks for sharing this place. The animals are lovely, and I'm glad you cropped the chicken's photo. We get the idea. Happy weekend, N.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome! I'd love to hear from you so please comment, it would make my day!

Note: Home Again Jog is a troll-free zone, nasty comments won't be published, period.